Thursday, January 5

On the twelfth day of Christmas

On the twelfth day of Christmas
My true love gave to me
Twelve drummers drumming
Eleven pipers piping, ten lords-a-leaping
Nine ladies dancing, eight maids-a-milking
Seven swans-a-swimming, six geese-a-laying
Five golden rings, four calling birds
Three French hens, two turtle doves
And a partridge in a pear tree

While neither Momma nor I are particularly interested in social Greek organizations, I do feel obligated to offer my congratulations to Kappa Alpha Psi, the world's second oldest and largest black fraternity, which was founded at Indiana University on this date on Jan. 5, 1911. Since the fraternity's founding it has never limited membership based on color, creed or national origin.  

Personally, Momma and I tend to echo our heroine Betsy's thoughts after both she and her sister are soured on the idea during Betsy's junior year of high school:

That, thought Betsy, was the bunk. You couldn't make sisterhoods with rules and elections. If they meant anything, they had to grow naturally.... "I don't believe sororities would appeal very long to anyone with much sense of adventure."
Betsy was a Junior
Maud Hart Lovelace

I'm ALL for adventure! 


No comments:

Post a Comment