Thursday, January 19

Off with their fascinators!

I guess I shan't be going to the Royal Ascot racecourt anymore (not that I ever did) or, at least, not in the Royal Enclosure. 

Poe's photo courtesy of seejoansew.
Ladies and gentlemen are now required to wear hats of a certain type and size in the Royal Enclosure:

"'Hats should be worn; a headpiece which has a base of 4 inches (10cm) or more in diameter is acceptable as an alternative to a hat.' This clarifies that fascinators are no longer permitted in the Royal Enclosure."

I don't think any of my hats are four or more inches in diameter!

Thankfully, the people in the Grandstand are not under such fashion constraints:
"'A hat, headpiece or fascinator should be worn at all times.' This replaces advice that many ladies wear hats but this is not compulsory."

While I don't see myself as common, maybe I could sit there.

As for the men:
"'Gentlemen are kindly reminded that it is a requirement to wear either black or grey morning dress which must include a waistcoat and tie (no cravats), a black or grey top hat and black shoes.' This clarifies that cravats are not acceptable and that black shoes should be worn with morning dress."

Hmm, I don't see any size specified for the male top hats and I do have a black top hat. This scrumptious outfit by Joan Dickhaut could work with a few modifications....


No comments:

Post a Comment