Wednesday, November 9

RIP, Bil Keane

Bil Keane: Oct. 5, 1922 - Nov. 8, 2011

Rest in peace, Bil Keane.

Now some of you might be wondering why I am paying tribute to a cartoonist known for his gentle humor.

"Bil Keane left biting satire and social commentary to other strips," according to the Arizona Republic.

To that I say, even the most cynical of us need to laugh sometimes at the gentler things in life. I'll provide the "biting satire and social commentary" later.

Keane was originally from Philadelphia before he and his wife Thelma moved to Arizona.

Once here our mutual family doctor, Dr. Cuthbertson, and local institutions such as the Sugar Bowl found their way into his cartoons.

While I suspect his son Jeff, who took over Family Circus several years ago, drew the above cartoon I thought it was appropriate for today.

Now, head toward the light -- no twisting, wandering, dotted paths! -- and go find Thel.

–30–

No comments:

Post a Comment