Monday, February 6

Steam-pink Addie

I admit I am pleased to hear that a certain organization has reversed its earlier decision to not give Planned Parenthood money for breast cancer screenings.

I was so upset that I even put pink on in protest - and as most of you know I loathe pink. But even I shall wear pink if it raises breast cancer awareness.
But maybe some people need Planned Parenthood awareness, too.

Planned Parenthood dates to 1916 when Margaret Sanger, her sister and a friend opened the first birth control clinic in the United States in Brooklyn, N.Y. It resulted in her being jailed. By 1941, the organization was operating 222 centers and had served 49,000 clients.

Incidentally, Faye Wattleton was the first woman named president of Planned Parenthood in 1978 and served till 1992. She was also the first African-American to serve as president, and the youngest president in Planned Parenthood's history. During her term, Planned Parenthood grew to become the seventh largest charity in the country, providing services to four million clients each year through its 170 affiliates whose activities were spread across 50 states.


No comments:

Post a Comment