- large spectacles equipped with special lenses, protective rims, etc., to prevent injury to the eyes fromstrong wind, flying objects, blinding light, etc.
- spectacles designed for a special purpose, as night-vision or stereoscopic goggles.
- Informal . glasses, or eyeglasses: I can't see a thing withoutmy goggles. Synonyms: specs, shades.
verb (used without object)
3. to stare with bulging or wide-open eyes. Synonyms: gape, ogle, gawk, gawp, glare.
4. (of the eyes) to bulge and be wide open in a stare.
5. to roll the eyes.
6. (of the eyes) to roll.
7. Informal. to spearfish.
verb (used with object)
8. to roll (the eyes).
9. (of the eyes) rolling, bulging, or staring.
1350–1400; Middle English gogelen to look aside; compare agog
Can be confused: goggle, Google, googol.