Wednesday, February 19

The Wonderful Dolls of Oz

I've got the dreaded Dorothy Doll Dementia right now and wanted to discover when the first Dorothy doll was made.

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz was published on May 17, 1900. It was followed by a popular 1902 Broadway musical and three moving picture adaptions before the 1939 version starring Judy Garland!

  • The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1910)
  • Wizard of Oz (1925)
  • The Wizard of Oz (1933)

It is generally acknowledged that Oz merchandise predated the 1939 The Wizard of Oz, but I can't discover when the first dolls appeared. 

Dorothy and Oz character dolls have been produced since then including Madame Alexander, Barbie, Tonner, and the 75th Anniversary of the 1939 release has increased that production. (The Hollywood premiere was on Aug. 15, 1939, at Grauman's Chinese Theatre.)

I, of course, like the newest steampunk versions. (I've always had a thing for both the Tin Woodman and Tik-Tok.)

I'm curious, which do you prefer?


1.) Tonner's Tornado Traveler Dorothy?


tonnerdoll.com


or 2.) Madame Alexander's Dorothy and Toto, Steam Punk Doll?



madamealexander.com


Personally, I like aspects of both dolls (I am seriously loving M.A.'s Toto!) and I am excited to meet the newest addition in September!


2 comments:

  1. Did you see Doll Diaries report from the Tonner display of the Toy Expo? These look great!

    ReplyDelete